Issue 2 Official Ballot Language for Ohio November 2017
Proposed by Initiative Petition
To enact Chapter 194 of the Ohio Revised Code
A majority yes vote is necessary for the law to pass.
To enact Chapter 194 of the Ohio Revised Code, which would:
- Require the State of Ohio, including its state departments, agencies and entities, to not pay more for prescription drugs than the price paid by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Establish that the individual petitioners responsible for proposing the law have a direct and personal stake in defending the law; require the State to pay petitioners’ reasonable attorney fees and other expenses; require the petitioners to pay $10,000 to the State if the law is held by a court to be unenforcable and limit the petitioners’ personal liability to that amount; and require the Attorney General to defend the law if challenged in court.
Ohioans pay too much for life-saving medicine. Drug companies have completely rigged the system so you have to pay more. Washington, DC doesn’t negotiate fair prices with drug companies, so it’s up to the states to enact reforms. To do that we have to change Ohio law and vote YES on Issue 2.
Here are the facts:
- Issue 2 changes Ohio law to ensure we pay the lowest known price for medicine. Ohioans would save $400 million, which would help fund schools, police departments, and cut taxes. Instead, that money goes to drug companies.
- Drug companies keep driving up prices on medicines needed to treat everything from asthma to cancer until they become too expensive for you to afford or insurance to cover. Life-saving medicine for children with allergies has skyrocketed from $80 to over $600 – just one of many examples.
- Drug companies fueled their profits by lying about opioids. They paid doctors over $46 million to get them to overprescribe opioids, getting Ohioans hooked, killing kids, and destroying our communities.
- These are the same drug companies spending millions of dollars to get you to vote against this issue – all so they can protect their profits.
- Politicians make promises they never keep. They say they’ll lower the cost of healthcare, but then the lobbyists and political donations come, and our costs don’t go down – they only go up.
So here’s your chance to change that.
You can hold politicians and drug companies accountable even while they threaten to retaliate against us. They say they’ll hurt veterans and raise prices on senior citizens. But you can stand up to them. Take the power into your own hands. Join doctors, nurses, and veterans from across Ohio and bring change that is desperately needed. Vote yes on Issue 2.